Friday, October 5, 2007

It could happen to you...

For me, College was an informational void. I didn't read papers, I didn't own a TV, let alone have cable. Computers were just recently invented, and the internet was actually things called bulletin boards (go Legend of the Red Dragon!) - I actually ran a BBS called, "The Shadowlands" (3 lines in baby!) and I was called, Dark Angel.

In any case, in the event that your life is devoid of information, a jury found a Minnesota woman liable for piracy, Awards $222,000 in damages for 24 songs.

Yep, you read that right. $222k. A little over $9,000 per song.

Every student with a computer denies being involved in piracy. For some that really is true, for others, they are simply ignorant of the fact that they are indeed doing it.

“Oh, snap! Is that the new Foo Fighters CD? Sweetness (sorry, that’s probably more of an 80’s phrase), do you mind if I borrow it? I’ll just dump it to my iTunes and listen to it later.”

That’s right, you just committed piracy.

Every greatest hits or mix tape you made for your gal or fella. You broke copyright law.

If the music company is serious about anything, it’s about its money, and if they think you’re keeping them from making more of it, they are going to come looking for you.

Now I have my own opinions about file sharing, and music swapping (I have quite a few friends who are indy musicians). But I think my general opinion can be summed up by this “Weird Al” Yankovic song (did I mention I am a HUGE nerd?):



In any case, be aware that file sharing and music swapping is illegal. I’m certainly not going to judge you, but before you download, know that there are people actively out there looking to nab you (think speed trap) and if you get hit it’s going to cost you a lot more than you’re saving. Too many people have worked to make music more accessible and affordable. Trust, the new Matchbox Twenty isn’t work $222,000 dollars even if Rob Thomas is hot.

Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should.

Enough said.

3 comments:

rosiebrandt said...

I have to agree with your stand on piracy because it really is an issue in our society especially with all of the gadgets we now use... ipods, mps, cellphone etc.
I did hear about that case and she was a single mother too. But I guess that is what happens when you think you are above the law and just when you think you will not get caught... YOU DO.

Mélaine Innocent said...

je ne dirai rien, good sir ;)

Robert H. Soulliere, Jr. said...

Actually the funny thing Rosie is that I didn't really state my stand on piracy (other than I think Mr. Yankovic captures the spirit of my views).

If you're a pirate or not, it doesn't really matter to me, the point that I wanted to bring out is that piracy is illegal. (Then again so is drinking under age, speeding, and smoking a little of the wacky tabacco).

Be aware that when you do it you are breaking the law. If you choose to do it, be aware of what your penalties might be. Ask yourself is the reward worth the risk, if you've got 220k to blow, then hey, why not on illegal music is all I'm really saying :)