Friday, July 11, 2008

"Catch the light"

So the FIOS TV guys were out to the house today. Well, it was actually one guy. We've enjoyed FIOS internet since it hit Fort Wayne whenever it was (like 2 years ago or whatever) and we've LOVED it (well I've loved it, my family doesn't necessarily enjoy the direct experience as much as I do, but they certainly enjoy the benefits).

Every year I kinda go through all my bills and see how we might save money by taking advantage of new offers or new companies. I saved $500+ on my home owners insurance, working on saving some $$ on my flood insurance (I live near a river), saved $$ on the car and gas an few other things. While going through I realized that for 2 years we've had a Verizon landline that we never use (I use Vonage over my FIOS) and so I was planning on calling and canceling it. However, I'd also been looking at switching to FIOS TV and dropping our other service, so I thought, "meh", why not.

Long story short, I cobbled together a package from Verizon (the customer retention service, because that's where you get the best deals - I saved $120 in addition to their best package, but hey, I work the system) and managed to save some green, get a few more channels and all that good stuff.

So far I'm pretty impressed. We still have our other service running side by side so I can compare quality (hehe, I haven't agreed to the terms of service yet from Verizon so this way I can cancel without any penalty - always read the small print). The multi-room DVR function is great, you can start a program downstairs, and go upstairs and keep watching it. So yeah.

I also upgraded my iPhone to the new 2.0 software and I'm have a great time with that. All in all, I'm riding the light this weekend - oh, I totally got to get all the shows off my old system, so I might get stuck doing some marathons this weekend. Or maybe I will employ the power of the internet to fill the gabs.

As Always,
Technology Bob

3 comments:

Laura Mizicko said...

Bob, I'm glad to hear someone is saving money! We are also thinking of switching to FIOS. Everyone I talk to about it really has good things to say about it. Maybe this is the inspiration I need to call up and try to get a deal of my own going. Laura

Rhonda said...

Amen! I'm thinking of switching too, I've had my moments of disgust w/ Comcast. However, thought better of it until I get through class. My system hasn't functioned properly since the storm 2-3 weeks ago. No, it's not just the operator! So, Bob, how long can you stretch out the introductory period. The only reason I didn't sign up for Fios originally is b/c of the contract. They make me twitchy-bad experience w/ cell phones-I think it should be illegal to offer a one-sided contract. We don't get to cancel service if they don't provide exemplary customer service-oh, yeh, we can but it'll cost!

Robert H. Soulliere, Jr. said...

The cool thing is that I only had to do a 1 year agreement, and the woman on the phone said call back when it expires and they will re-up the same deal. Verizon is a lot of things and typically they have crappy customer service, but they want your money and in the end, they will do what it takes to keep you, you just have to be willing to put in the time.

1 year is about the right length for a technology contract.