Sunday, September 2, 2007

Education in the airport

I guess one of the things that amazes me most about technology is its accessibility.

There I sat in the Fort Wayne International (yes, I am still amazed we can call it that) Airport and read and commented on all of your blogs.

A few hours later I am sitting at Dallas Fort Worth, and I am able to review your introductions in Blackboard.

Now as I sit in 107 degree weather in a Las Vegas hotel, I am able to still reach out to each and everyone of you.

If I can reach you, I can teach you.

Education is about making that personal connection to the student to open up a channel to impart knowledge. To allow for opportunities to experience the world around us together and commit those findings to heart and mind. Technology enables us to accomplish those goals regardless of where we are in the world.

It brings us sights, sounds, and people that we'd never have access to. In the grand scheme of things we are young (some of us more young that others). Most of you don't know a world where you don't have a cell phone in your pocket at all times. Some device that you can reach out for and flow an instant message to anyone at any time. Most of you don't know what its like to sit down and write a letter by hand, take an envelope and put a stamp on it. Most of you don't know what its like to not be able to walk up to ATM (that stands for Automated Teller Machine, so there's no need to add the word machine to the end again) and get cash out.

Not all TVs were color. (Wow, I am really dating myself).

Yet some how without all of these technologies, the world went on. People lived, loved and learned. Everything we have today was invented by folks who were educated without these technologies.

This course is all about using technologies to educate more effectively. NEVER forget that technology is not the import thing, you are, the educator. Never allow yourself to become lazy in your craft because some gizmo makes it easier. Never forget that even though I can IM, blog, email and video conference, that the single physical pat on the back can accomplish more than any of those things.

Technology is awesome; but people are better.

Just my two cents worth for the day.

No comments: